The Little Seemingly insignifcant things

In 2014, oge mụ na my classmates na-agba helter-skelter na Nsukka, trying to find our footing, my friend Inno who had read some things m degoro called me aside one night and showed me a story the title of the story was "Bro Chinua" and it was the most unexpected and interesting piece m gụrụ from anyone that wasn't an established writer up until that time. I loved the story. It was beautiful. I remember reading it and nodding. Then like me, he tucked it away with the rest of the writings ga-efollow ya and continued running around to write and submit eco assignments.

In the next four years, even though na neither him nor I definiri onwe anyị as writers, we knew we wrote. I jụọ anyị, we were "students of economics that wrote to make sense of the world around us". And that was what we really wanted to do, to make sense of the world around us. Mana soon enough, the things we wrote, the words we played with, became more serious than making sense of the world around us.


My dear Inno has not just gone ahead to be published on various platforms, but has also gone ahead to win ụfọdụ prestigious awards for his writing. I have come to a place where that writing bụ a feel-good distraction at some point na-enye mụ nri and even holds the promise of laying the foundations for the future m chọrọ. That is where we are right now. Anyị bidoro ya ka egwuregwu, as an escape from the toils of our surroundings, mana now, it has come to mean more than just that.


Enwe small things you might do for fun that will hold the keys to magnificent doors na your future. These days, the world the obsessed with "career", mana for some of us, the things anyị needịrị to build this career bụ skills anyị pickiri up with playplay years ago. Onwe ike ịbụ a language anyị mụrụ while growing up. Or a skill anyị mụrụ to while away time. It can be any little, seemingly irrelevant thing because na little drops of these things ka na-emake a mighty ocean.


Jisie ike. Don't abandon your fun thing. It could be more than fun tomorrow. 
Ka ọdi.

Comments

Popular Posts