A MEMORY OF JAMS

 The memory of weekends is a memory of jams, rising late and a vinyl player that served us faithfully. Saturday mornings na-ebido with mmadụ itete to the voice of Bob Marley singing "no woman no cry". It is not the first song kpọrọnu but it is the one you'll hear if you wake at the right time. Mana ọ bụrụ na itete earlier than usual ịmara na ị ga anụ onu Onyeka Onwenu. However, idinara till my superhero akpote gị, ihe inwe ike ịnụ the HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER from William Onyeabo's "when the going is smooth and good". It was her "jee kpọtee ụmụaka a" alarm.
Everything that was played on Saturday bụ from my superhero's favourites. She loved herself some African jams and some reggae - Bob Marley to be precise. Ana asụ akwa, na-astarch akwa, na-eficha ụnọ, egwu a na-asụ.
Ọ na di bido with Yvonne Chaka Chaka's "Umqombothi", "let me be free", and "thank you Mr DJ for playing my song" then o tinye Onyeka Onwenu's Golden voices vol 3, I still hear "one love, keep us together" playing in my head. From there ọkpọzie Bob Marley, William Onyeabor and Angelique Kidjo. She always juggled between international na Nigerian albums - ọkpọtụ nke a, ọkpọtụ nke a.
By the time aga asachago anyị ahụ, asachaa akwa, fichacha ụnọ, gote ọkpa, mee akamu, egwu nine akpọchago. O tinyezie William Onyeabor again, lower the volume while we eat and watch the day go down with care. 

Comments

  1. I certainly enjoyed visiting your memory.
    😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you did. Do stop by again.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece. Idek most of the songs there. 😂😂😂 But I have a similar memory with newer songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful. I'll like to know the songs in your memory.

      Delete
  4. Please add a podcast series to this. Ife a na ato'm special. It would be lovely to hear it in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remembered my Saturday morning routine those days.
    Biko kam juo, gini bu memory na asusu Igbo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's "ncheta" or something like that. Just malụ na ọ dị contextual.

      Delete
  6. The experience nwetara growing up bụ the best. Back then Egwu our parents like ka anyị na alike too. I remember the smell of our home after freshly clean up. I normally lie on the he cold cemented floor ka ahụ jụọ m oyi.
    Daalu maka ichetara anyị etu anyị si bido.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too! I also lay on the sofas na achọ imove ya during the cleanup. Those days oche parlour na-enwe obele tyre n'okpuru so it was a ride.

      Delete
  7. Oh man!
    The kain nostalgia juu this piece eh...
    Saturdays bụ the best!
    Besides the chores, akara na akamu were our Saturday's most regular fixture. The days!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts